Barren is one of the Biome varieties.
Worlds with barren biomes have a surface that is rocky and sometimes sandy. A variety of cacti and a few hardy species of trees can be found here. Some desert worlds have unique flora that give Sticky 'Honey'. From space, barren worlds look rocky, occasionally with some streaks of large canyons visible from space. The resources Pyrite, Cactus Flesh, Sulphurine, and wild plant Aloe Flesh can be found here.
The biome type is indicated in the information panel when the player exits their starship. This is procedurally generated by adding one of the following prefixes to the Planet or Moon text.
The sequence is taken from the game file.
- This biome has the 2nd most ideal weather, as day temperatures are liveable. However, nights can get quite cold, enabling hazard protection.
- Some barren planets have conditions similar to Scorched planets.
- In Survival and Permadeath mode, due to the abundance of hostile sentinels on lush planets, barren planets become even safer worlds to land on, especially for bases.
- Heat storms can occur. Hazard protection drain is similar to being in a storm in a scorched biome.
- Extreme weather barren worlds require both cold and heat protection due to wild temperature swings. The heat can get sweltering during the day, plummeting to freezing temperatures at night.
- Heat storms in extreme weather barren worlds are POWERFUL, draining hazard protection in a similar rate to a storm in an extremely scorched biome.
- Similar to swamps (which can be both toxic or hot), a barren planet can reach sweltering temperatures during the day, turning them into pseudo-scorched planets regardless of weather. Due to this phenomenon not all calm barren worlds can be considered "gaia" or "garden" worlds even though the fauna may be peaceful.
|Clear (No storms)||Normal||Extreme|
|Baked||Blasted Atmosphere||Billowing Dust Storms|
|Clear||Ceaseless Drought||Blasted Atmosphere|
|Dry Gusts||Dust-Choked Winds||Choking Sandstorms|
|Icy Nights||Freezing Night Winds||Dead Wastes|
|Moistureless||Highly Variable Temperatures||Extreme Wind Blasting|
|Sterile||Infrequent Dust Storms||Hazardous Temperature Extremes|
|Unclouded Skies||Intermittent Wind Blasting||Howling Gales|
|Withered||Occasional Sandstorms||Lung-Burning Night Wind|
|Parched Sands||Planetwide Desiccation|
|Sporadic Grit Storms||Sand Blizzards|
- The name generation and the sequence are extracted from the 3.68 version of NMS_UPDATE3_ENGLISH.MBIN game file.