|The subject of this article is from the ExoMech update.
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 10 June, 2020.
The information from this article is is up-to-date as of 10 June, 2020.
Caves are a type of geological structure.
Caves are a type of geological structure generated on most if not all planets.
They can be used as a means of shelter against Weather and other planet hazards. The safety of cave systems vary, so be on your guard whenever entering a new cave. They also contain resources and different Species, some of which cannot be found on the surface. These are considered part of the Subterranean ecosystem.
Cave systems can also be found underwater; check your breathing apparatus before exploring these.
Resources found in caves includes the following:
- Cobalt (mineral formations in all caves)
- Pure Ferrite (mineral formations in some caves)
- Silver (rarely replaces Cobalt in mineral formations)
- Gold (rarely replaces Cobalt in mineral formations)
- Platinum (rarely replaces Cobalt in mineral formations)
- Sodium (Underground Toxic Hazard)
- Oxygen (Underground Toxic Hazard)
- Marrow Bulb (Cave Marrow)
- Vortex Cubes (Subterranean Relics)
- TetraCobalt (Subterranean Relics)
- Albumen Pearls (Humming Sacs)
In an early game video, a player is seen going into a cave on Balari V to recharge the anti-planet hazard insulation in his suit. It is notably warmer inside as the temperature rises at least 200 degrees Celsius. The player penetrates the cave by blowing a hole in the ground using the Land Disruptor upgrade for his weapon.
Currently, caves are all safer than the external environment.
- Game-day patch Update 1.03 increased the maximum cave height to 128m
- Caves extending all the way down to "bedrock" will often have surface objects generate on the exposed "bedrock"