The information from this article is up-to-date as of 16 February, 2021.
Factions, also known as Races, are the sentient species in No Man's Sky.
- The Korvax are a near-immortal sentient machine species. They value science and exploration. They also worship the Atlas and accept the Sentinels' presence. They specialize in Exosuit technology.
- The Gek are a sentient amphibious species. They value commerce, and the ancient First Spawn Gek believed themselves to be the master race of the galaxy. They specialize in Starship technology.
- The Vy'keen are a humanoid sentient species. They are military-oriented with a very rigid honour system and a deep hatred for Sentinels. They specialize in Multi-tool technology.
- The Travellers are a mysterious humanoid species of free explorers that recently arrived in the galaxy. Their origins and purposes are unknown.
- The Anomalies are a mysterious humanoid species and each of them wear helmets, hiding their true appearance. Their origins and purposes are unknown.
You can be affiliated with the first three factions mentioned above, but your reputation with e.g. the Korvax won't affect your reputation with the other factions because they are not hostile to each other. However you cannot have any reputation with the Sentinels, the Travellers or the Anomalies.
- Completing missions given at the Mission Board in the systems of factions
- Giving race specific gifts to members of the given faction.
- Successfully completing the problems at Waypoints such as Manufacturing Facilities, Plaques, Ruins, Monoliths and Operations Centres.
- Killing pirates in the Factions territory.
- Rescuing a freighter from pirates.
- Collecting Research Specimens in buildings.
- Attacking Trader ships of any particular faction.
- Attacking a space station of any faction. (This also gives you a Space Wanted Level of 4)
- Failing the problems at Waypoints.
- Attacking Freighters of any faction. Note: This only applies to the smaller single engine ships surrounding a freighter.
- Refusing to accept gifts.
- Taking a multitool from Vy'keen NPC. (Sometimes this causes you to gain reputation)
- Speaking threatening words when using the practice speech option. "Aggressive words" i.e. "Destroy" to a Gek envoy.
Faction standing currently has the following effects:
- Availability of certain blueprints to purchase.
- Faction specific dialogue options.
- Possibility to start missions, which require a minimum faction standing.
- High standing will grant the player aid at times when under attack by pirates.
- The appearance of the player character is defaulted to an Anomaly, which can be changed later at an Appearance Modifier.