Game modes provide different ways to play No Man's Sky.
Summary[edit | edit source]
There are five modes available for game play. Each provides a different experience, different opportunities, and different restrictions.
Normal mode[edit | edit source]
This is the original mode of play in the initial release of the game in August 2016. It is labeled as a "chill exploration experience". Original gameplay style with regular difficulty, standard technology and building costs.
Death in normal mode involves returning to the location of death to retrieve lost inventory items. If the player dies in space, they must retrieve it with their ship, and one or more parts of the ship might need to be repaired. If the player dies on foot, they must return to the planetside location to retrieve their items.
Survival mode[edit | edit source]
This mode of play provides a "more challenging survival experience". The player is expected to survive with limited resources, increased hazards, and stronger, more aggressive enemies.
Death in Survival mode results in loss of your current inventory, whether in-ship, or on foot. If you die in your ship, you respawn on the nearest planet, a brief distance from your crashed ship. All inventory items on the ship are lost, and one or more components must be repaired.
Permadeath mode[edit | edit source]
All Progress wiped upon death. Face the risk of permanent character death with the increased hazards and dangers of Survival Mode gameplay.
While other modes have two save slots, one for auto save and one for manual save, in permadeath there is only one save slot which contains the last save (either auto or manual).
Creative mode[edit | edit source]
This mode of play is a more relaxed version with the ability to "explore and create freely". The player is allowed to indulge their creativity and construction skills, with unlimited health and resources, and zero building costs. It is important to note that trophies will NOT unlock in Creative Mode.
Expedition mode[edit | edit source]
Each expedition is structured around a series of Milestones. These goals may be completed in any order, allowing the player to earn specific rewards, meet fellow players, and experiment with different ways of playing the game.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Starting Position||Near Habitable Base||Away from ship||Away from ship||Away from ship||Away from ship|
|Fauna and Sentinel Threat Level||None||Default||More aggressive||More aggressive||Default|
|Death||Impossible||Inventory retrievable||Inventory is lost, tech breaks||Permanent||Inventory retrievable|
|Starship Destruction||Impossible||Inventory retrievable||Ship crashes on planet||Permanent||Inventory retrievable|
|Trophies/Achievements||Not available||Available||Available, one exclusive.||Available, one exclusive.||Available|
Additional information[edit | edit source]
- Each mode provides a separate save structure.
- Per platform (PC/PS4/Xbox), all uploaded data is shared between all modes, including Communications Stations.
- Player bases are only visible from the same mode.
- Base building is included under creative mode, as are all Exocraft, and Freighters.
- There is also a hidden mode titled "Ambient Mode". It is a free exploration experience with the player not having any input, with the game controlling a disembodied camera; which periodically switches worlds. This can be accessed in game by editing the current version number in your save file. For example:
Feb 2018 Mar 2020 July 2020 Nov 2020 Jan 2021 Mar 2021 Name decimal hex decimal decimal decimal decimal decimal Normal: 4616 1208 4636 4638 4638 4639 Creative: 5128 1408 5148 5150 Survival: 5640 1608 5660 5662 5663 Ambient: 6152 1808 6172 6174 Permadeath: 6664 1A08 6684 6686 6687 Expedition: 7201 Differences between modes 512 412 / 512 / 612 Change since last entry +20 +2
- It is possible to return to the game mode select screen from the options menu.
- If a player manages to reach the center of the galaxy in Permadeath before they do so in Survival, both Take a Deep Breath and To Live Forever milestones are unlocked.
Release history[edit | edit source]
- Foundation - Creative and Survival modes were added.
- Atlas Rises - the universe seed is now identical across all modes. All generated stars, planets, names are the same.
- Pathfinder - Permadeath was added.
- Expeditions - Expedition was added