Space station is an orbiting platform found in most star systems.
Space station is a large alien spaceport that can be docked with a starship and serve as trading centre, mission hub, and a means to travel to habitable bases.
Docking at a space station involves flying into the station tractor beam, a blue shaft of light coming out of the space station opening. This will automatically pull the ship inward and through a corridor that can vary in length before landing it on one of the eight landing pads. Landing will set a players SWL (Space Wanted Level) to zero, making them useful to escape sentinel starships
There are two ramps in the front and rear of the space station, each leading to an open marketplace with multiple beings.
When leaving the space station the Pulse Engine will not work until the player's starship is a safe distance away. Each space station has a randomly generated length of the hallway. Shorter hallways will have more traders landing.
In-game guide refers to the "right-hand side" when looking from outside the station into the runway. The following amenities can be found in a space station:
- Left-hand side:
- Starship Outfitting Terminal (as of Synthesis)
- Technology Merchants for exosuit, exocraft, starship and Multi-tool upgrades
- Multi-Tool Upgrade Terminal
- A Scrap Dealer selling Emergency Broadcast Receivers for detecting Derelict Freighters and purchasing recovered Crew Manifests and Captain's Logs.
- (inside a room accessible from the main area)
- Right-hand side:
There are special space stations that show up as a spacial anomaly, they appear in addition to the regular one.
- Atlas Interface: Will open up Alien Anomalies, you can ask Polo for Atlas Interface coordinates.
- This space station has a long walkway to an altar where you can talk with the Atlas; some Atlas Interfaces will have two Warp Cells at the foot of the altar. You can also learn some new alien words by walking around the station onto the glowing dots.
- Space Anomaly: this space station includes the NPCs named Polo, Nada and Quicksilver Synthesis Companion, along with many others. They all speak the player's language rather than that of their race.
- The station also offers research for most researchable blueprints, has it’s own mission station (Nexus) and many other features.
Abandoned stations can be found in abandoned systems. This station can be identified from the outside by having pieces of metal broken and floating in space, and having a red tractor beam instead of a blue one. Inside, it is devoid of any life except it has purple goo with small purple tumors similar to what is found inside and around Abandoned Buildings, although there are no Whispering Eggs in abandoned stations.
In contrast to a normal space station with its open marketplace architecture, abandoned station features the architecture and the layout of space station prior to the NEXT update, i.e. two ramps leading to one room with an attached room each. The attached room requires an key and seems to be without damage or goo.
There are no NPCs aboard this space station, and no Appearance Modifier or Starship Outfitting Terminal, however the following amenities are still available:
- Left-hand side:
- Station Terminus Teleporter (looks and works like a Base Teleport Module
- Right-hand side:
- Galactic Trade Terminal
Buying / Trading / Conversation
One of the many things you can do in space stations is trade with the NPC pilots that land their ships on the station's landing pads. You can trade items for units or buy items, ships, etc. from them. Space stations with smaller runways will have more traders than ones with longer runways.
Words can be learned via encounters with alien lifeforms. Making friendly requests while in a space station may result in learning new words permanently.
While you can attack a station, it cannot actually be destroyed. If attacked long enough, eventually Sentinel starships will attack you (SWL = 4)
As an integral part of the game, it will always remain in orbit around its host star system.
Attacking is disabled while inside the space station.
The name of space station is procedurally generated by combining the name of the star system (∗ marks its location) in which the space station is located, and one of the following suffixes.
- ∗ Station
- ∗ Orbital
- ∗ Station
- ∗ Station Alpha
- ∗ Station Beta
- ∗ Station Omega
- ∗ Cycler
- ∗ Rendezvous
- ∗ Hub
- ∗ Terminus
- ∗ Station Sigma
- ∗ Junction
- ∗ Station Tau
- ∗ Exchange
- ∗ Prime
- ∗ Station Minor
- ∗ Station Major
- ∗ Platform
- ∗ Sphere
- ∗ Stellar Observer
- The name generation and the sequence are extracted from the 1.77 version of NMS_UPDATE3_ENGLISH.MBIN game file.
- Pre-release information indicated that there would be five classes of space stations in No Man's Sky; the actual number is unknown. Each space station is marked with a set of symbols somewhere on the outside walls.
While inside a Space Station:
- You do not suffer fall damage
- You cannot draw your Multi-tool (you can on the PS4 VR, but cannot fire any weapon or beam), but you can switch tools.
- There is no drain on your Life Support
- Upon entering, your Sentinel wanted level is reset to zero.
- Entering will stop any pirates from pursuing you.
- Release - Introduced to the game
- NEXT - Architecture changed to an open layout
- NEXT 1.63 - Added an Exocraft dealer
- Beyond - Added a Cartographer
- Synthesis - Added a Starship Outfitting Terminal
- Desolation - Added a Scrap Dealer
- Origins - Added Multi-Tool Upgrade Station
- Prisms - Added the Station Core, changed landing area look.
Space station interior