|The subject of this article is from the Abyss update.
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 21 November, 2018.
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 21 November, 2018.
|Update date||29 October 2018|
|Previous update||Next update|
|Update 1.70 on nomanssky.com|
Update 1.70 is the 39th update to No Man's Sky.
Update 1.7, also known as No Man's Sky Abyss, is the 39th update to No Man's Sky and was released on 29 October, 2018 to PS4, PC, and Xbox. It introduced expanded multiplayer features and player interactions.
- Freighter Hyperdrive Blueprints are now available for purchase. The synergy bonus was reduced.
- The Agricultural Research mission now provides a blueprint for the NipNip Buds wrongly, which cannot be crafted, instead of the NipNip plant.
- Added Aquatic Treasure and Terrifying Sample. Existing artifact names were regenerated by either adding or taking away prefixes, but other data were unchanged. The value range were changed for the rare type of Delicate Flora (FARM), previously it was possible to reach a maximum value of 20,000,000 . Due to this both the modifier and the value were regenerated as well.
The Abyss: Introducing Update 1.7
Explore the terrors of the deep in The Abyss update. Introducing aquatic environments with over 5 times more variety, varied creature behaviours, improved underwater visuals and much more.
Creatures of the Deep
Underwater creatures have become more frequent, and more interesting. Aquatic life inhabits the full depth of the ocean, and unique terrifying creatures can be encountered on the ocean floor.
Exploring the sea bed can be lucrative, yielding Crystallised Sulphur, Living Pearls or Hadal Cores, but avoid the territorial creatures that lurk there. From poisonous Jellyfish, to snapping clams and predator fish rumoured to be larger than Starships. And beware the Abyssal Horror, which has lured many explorers to a grim end.
The Dreams of the Deep story brings a new context to the depths and a dark narrative to No Man’s Sky.
Discover the fate of a troubled crew stranded from a freighter crash by the rising tides, or explore underwater ruins to uncover the tale of a lost soul trapped deep beneath the waves.
Investigate submerged buildings to find remnants of their lost occupants.
Discover and scavenge lost cargo from gigantic freighter wrecks. Use the terrain manipulator to excavate treasures buried in the nearby ocean floor.
Find and repair rare crashed starships to restore them from the seabed to the skies.
Investigate sunken ruins and find ancient treasures.
True aquanauts will want to customise their appearance with the diving helmet, the Lost Bathysphere.
New Underwater Biomes
We’ve introduced a host of visual improvements, allowing you to explore underwater in even greater detail.
The variety and visual quality of underwater biomes has been greatly improved.
Experience rare exotic aquatic biomes as you explore new depths.
Master the depths of planets using a new Exocraft, the Nautilon. This submersible vehicle give new meaning to underwater navigation, combat and mining – and can be summoned to any ocean on the planet, as well as docked at underwater buildings.
Upgrade your submersible with installable Submarine Technology and customise the Nautilon to stand out from your fellow explorers.
Submersible Building Modules
Over a dozen new base parts have been added to unlock more creative possibilities underwater.
Construct the new Marine Shelter for brief respite from the oceanic pressure, and use its protection to reach new depths.
New glass corridors, viewing bays and multistory submersible view domes provide travellers the perfect view of the surrounding ocean.
Bring aquatic life into your habitat with a decorative indoor Aquarium.
Controls for swimming and diving have been overhauled. Boost through the ocean with your jetpack, communicate to other divers with underwater gestures, and swim more easily on the water surface.
Explore a richer ocean floor with the addition of new aquatic substances, goods, and products to collect, craft, trade, and build. A tiered crafting system allows increasingly valuable products to be crafted by combining harvestable materials.
To accommodate the recent addition of the Pilgrim Exocraft motorbike, the Nautilon Submarine, and extensive reworking of the vehicle technology and upgrade system, a new merchant has set up shop in Space Stations.
Freighter and Frigate Enhancements
In addition to the underwater focus of The Abyss, freighters and frigates have also been enhanced. Both vessel types can now be scanned using the Analysis Visor, and explorers can repair their friends’ frigates in multiplayer.
Underwater Gameplay and Visuals
- Increased the diversity of underwater biomes.
- Improved character movement in the water.
- Improved surface swimming.
- Improved swimming for customised characters.
- Allowed the torch to be used underwater.
- Improved underwater and swimming cameras.
- Improved camera behaviour when approaching the surface of the water.
- Added support for jetpacking underwater.
- Increased the probability of oxygen spawning as a secondary resource underwater.
- Increased the depths at which underwater buildings can spawn.
- Prevented drones spawning underwater or following you deep underwater.
- Added underwater only emotes.
- Improved underwater character and swimming audio.
- Improved underwater prop placement and object densities.
- Improved terrain editing underwater and fixed an issue where it could rapidly propel the player upwards.
- Improved colours of the water surface, and underwater effects.
- Improved foam effect at the edges of water and objects.
- Fixed an issue where a line could be seen round underwater objects and the underwater horizon.
- Improved water visuals at night.
- Removed a hard pixelated edge seen at the edge of water.
Fish and Underwater Creatures
- Improved detection of whether the player is inside a building while underwater.
- Improved general fish shoal behaviour.
- Increased spawn rates of fish and creatures underwater.
- Improved predatory fish movement and behaviour.
- Improved logic for spawning and despawning underwater creatures.
- Improved movement of underwater cow and rodent type creatures.
- Improved and added to fish and underwater creature audio.
- Added jellyfish, clams, crabs, and abyssal horrors.
- Disabled censorship in text chat between friends.
- Added more options to the inventory transfer menu.
- Removed unnecessary UI data to improve load times and memory footprint.
- Disabled resizing the terrain beam at times when it cannot be used.
- Fixed cases where quick menu items were incorrectly highlighted.
- Fixed issues with vehicle inventory transfers.
- Fixed the hazard icons for protection tech against secondary hazards.
- Fixed a crash caused by opening the inventory while using the ship communicator.
- Improved ordering of some objects in the building menu.
- Fixed a clipping issue in the binocular UI.
- Fixed an occasional crash in the character customiser.
- Various minor text and localisation fixes and improvements.
Bases and Buildings
- Added the chance for abandoned buildings, ruins, crashed freighters, and crashed starships to spawn underwater.
- Fixed an issue where players could fall through storage room walls.
- Allowed storage rooms to be placed in a grid layout.
- Made minor improvements to the indoor camera.
- Corrected volume of NPC speech inside player bases.
- Fixed an issue where shop terminals placed in bases could cause certain rooms to be hidden.
- Altered limits on building some objects rewarded through the Quicksilver bot.
- Added a new underwater shelter building.
- Added over a dozen new base parts.
Freighters, Ships and Space
- Improved spawning of frigates in multiplayer games when players are onboard them.
- Fixed an issue where the players ships would incorrectly appear in a new system after warping.
- Fixed cases where specific frigates would always take the same type of damage.
- Fixed an issue where multiple fleet missions would automatically be handed in simultaneously.
- Added ability to scan frigates and freighters using the Analysis Visor.
- Added ability for players to repair their friends’ frigates.
- Fixed issues with characters on the freighter after the player is gifted it.
- Prevented dust being permanently active on frigate landing pads.
- Improved ejecting from your ship in confined spaces, prevented being launched through low hanging ceilings and anomaly walls.
- Improved positioning of players getting out of ships and respawning on landing pads.
- Fixed an issue where frigates failed to reset their resource collection after giving resources to the player.
- Fixed a crash caused by the anomaly in certain systems.
- Added a marker for off-screen black holes.
- Made frigate icons less intrusive.
- Prevented the anomaly being re-summoned if it is already present.
- Added ability to detect planets with water from the galactic map.
- Fixed an issue where the player could not land their ship after switching missions while looking at a mission marker.
- Added a vehicle shop to the space station.
- Fixed issues where players could be stuck in ship landing pads.
Missions and Progression
- Added the Dreams of the Deep mission.
- Added a new story to underwater ruins.
- Added a number of new aquatic substances, goods, and products.
- Improved the return marker on portals the player has travelled through.
- Fixed an issue where some missions would always give an identical reward.
- Improved ability for missions to select locations to send you to from small clusters of buildings.
- Fixed an issue where protection tech would only drain for one hazard at a time.
- Reduced the radius on the vehicle gun to ensure particles spawn at the contact point.
- Improved vehicle boost effect colours.
- Disabled the find building ability in the vehicle’s default scan, as it has been replaced by an improved scan.
- Removed decals from the default vehicle, allowing player to add them.
- Improved colours of vehicle decals.
- Fixed cases where birds would fly into the ground.
- Improved rodent tail animation.
- Improved creature scanning in multiplayer.
- Fixed an issue where filters for creature part generation were not correctly applying to all genders.
- Fixed an issue where biological horrors could become non-hostile after attacking an exocraft.
- Improved shader uniform resolution on PC, a performance optimisation.
- Fixed an issue where there could be a long pause on a black screen when booting into the game.
- Improved multiplayer permissions for lobby use.
- Changed default multiplayer permissions to be more permissive in Creative Mode.
- Fixed various infrequent crashes.
- Implemented various performance, system and stability fixes.